PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Debra Linker

Living in Full Color
Painting - Spring Roses

Original paintings, prints, and art cards.

ARTIST BIO:
I am a full time artist. I paint, primarily with acrylics, and have my paintings digitally scanned so that I can then create reproductions prints and art/greeting cards. I am a native Texan, and have lived in the Seattle, WA area for 14 years. I am married to a fabulous, brilliant, hugely supportive man and have two great dogs. My life is full and happy!

INSPIRATION:
I am inspired by color and by words. Often, a simple phrase like "The Tragedy of Perfection" will stick in my head and I will paint an entire series on that phrase until I have completely worked it out of my system! (My "Tragedy of Perfection Series" will launch the second week of October, as a matter of fact). I am inspired by the kindness and generousity of others, by deep pain, by heart-pounding happiness, by my husband's laugh, and by the sweet adoration in my dog's eyes.

BEGINNINGS:
My mom is an amazing artist, quilter, and quilt pattern designer (see http://www.alicewilhoit.com). I inherited her love of creating. I have been creating SOMETHING all my life. I spent a lot of years thinking I was "supposed" to write but making art quilts, knitting and crochetting for friends and family, weaving, collecting bronze statutes and other people's art instead. It was not until I picked up a paint brush for the first time that I found "my craft".

FAVORITE ITEM:
My current "favorite" item in my shop is "Viridis".

"Viridis"

"This may be my most heart-felt work to date. The working title - the title in my head as I painted - was "Do you hate me because my eyes are green?". It evokes a great deal of emotional and political angst in me. I long for a world where skin color has absolutely no influence on how we treat each other. I pray for a world where we do not love BECAUSE our skin is the same color, and we do not hate her BECAUSE her skin is brown and her eyes green.

I had no intention of making a statement when I started this painting. I simply wanted to paint a young girl ... and she evolved in to a big piece of my heart. If she only had a smile...

At times I see her as sad; other times, as having a quiet knowing. In the morning light, I see a peaceful, meditative stare in her eyes. She knows humanity will evolve".

http://debralinker.blogspot.com

Check out more pieces at Debra's shop
(including her beautiful art cards, one of which I
recently purchased myself):
Debra Linker - http://debralinker.etsy.com

1 comment:

Debra Linker said...

Thank you so much for featuring me. I am honored and humbled by your generousity. The blog is great! I can't wait to receive newsletters. You do a super job!