Friday, October 3, 2008

Mountainside Crochet


Adorable hand-crocheted Ring Toss Toy in bright colors and Blue Bunny Amigurumi-Style Doll.

An interview with Mountainside Crochet:

I am a self-taught, left-handed crocheter who has been plying my craft for over 30 years. I'm happiest with a crochet hook in my (left) hand and miles of yarn spread all around me. I began my Etsy shop to have an outlet for the many things I constantly create.

I am a mom to 3 grown children and a grandma of 3 grandsons ages 6, 9 and 11. The grandsons love the critters I create and inspire me to do more. I currently live on the edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains in the westernmost county of South Carolina, thus my Shop name, Mountainside Crochet.

My Etsy shop is 75% crochet for children in many forms – plush animals, fantasy creatures, amigurumi, dolls, and playtime pillows and rugs. The other 25% is devoted to tote bags, purses and handbags, and a section of kitchen crochet in the form of potholders & hot pads with whimsical designs.

I am inspired by anything and everything, from the color of the yarn to a sports season, to the seasons of the year, to holidays, to the interests of the people around me.

I began my crochet crafting by making stuffed animals to entertain my children when they were small. My daughter still has the whale I made for her when she was 8 years old. It grew from there.

The current FAVORITE ITEM in my shop is my Pink Panther Amigurumi. I discovered Amigurumi only a few months ago and fell in love with the versatility of the design – how it can be anything you can imagine. After I crocheted my first amigurumi – my Blue Bunny – I happened to be holding a skein of bright pink yarn and the idea for Pink Panther suddenly cried out for creation – based on the old movie “The Pink Panther” and the song “What's New Pussycat”. I was delighted with the way he turned out. Pink Panther was my very first original creation done without a pattern, and it seemed to unleash my creativity, which was a delightful surprise. So many ideas “pop” into my head now that I've had to start keeping an 'idea journal' in order not to forget my ideas until I have time to create them.

Just in time for Halloween! A Trick or Treat” tote!

Mountainside has many super sweet items to choose from!

Check out her Esty shop:

Mountainside Crochet.


Mountainside Crochet said...

Many thanks to Lisa for featuring my Etsy shop, Mountainside Crochet in her wonderful blog.

swiekysiggies said...

Those bags are so creative and adorable! So wonderful...:)